“I’m upset right now and need a minute to calm down.”
“I love you, but I’m angry with you right now.”
- Don’t say, “I’m fine,” if you’re not.
- If you’re mad, that’s okay. Anger is a perfectly acceptable emotion - it’s what you do with your feelings that matters.
- If someone upset you and you need to tell them, use this guide.
Talking Points - I’m Mad
- I’m mad.
- I’m angry.
- I’m upset.
- I’m furious.
- When you <behavior that upset you>, that made me feel <how it made you feel>.
- I understand that you didn’t think it would be a big deal, but I need you to understand how I feel right now.
- I love you, but I’m hurt by what happened.
- I’m hurting, but I still love you.
- I’m really upset by what happened and I want to talk to you about it.
- <Name>, I think we need to clear the air. Will you let me know when you’re up for it?
- What is your preferred location and time to have a much-needed, albeit tense, unpleasant, and emotional conversation?
- Listen, I’m still really upset about what happened. It’s going to be okay, but I still want to resolve it with you. Can you talk?
Talking Points - I Need Space/Time to Think
- Can we talk about this later after I’ve had time to gather my thoughts?
- I don’t have the energy to respond to you right now. I will respond when I can.
- I need space right now and will reach out when I’m ready.
- I need to calm down before we continue this conversation.
- Let’s continue this conversation when we’ve both had time to process.
52 Ways to Say You're Angry
My girlfriend says I always want to sweep things under the rug. I tend to either under-react to problems or over-react to them. Im not good at the in-between. When a problem comes up with my husband, I just clam up. When Im really upset, all I want to do is escape.
13 Ways to Say You're "Mad as Hell" Across the U.S.
Running out of ways to say you're feeling vexed? You're in luck. We've teamed up with our trusty pals at the Dictionary of American Regional English (DARE) to liven up your livid language. From the Big Easy and New England to the Appalachians and Hawaii, here are 13 regional idioms for "angry."