Use these talking points when you don’t know the answer, can’t answer, or aren’t the best source of information.
- Give the reason why you can’t answer the question
- Tell them when you will follow up with them
- Bridge to what you can say
- Make sure you follow up (even if you don’t have any new information)
- Repeat the question (optional)
- Let me confirm/double-check and follow up with you.
- Let me look into it and get back to you.
- We’re still looking into it…
- I expect to be able to tell you more by…
- What I can tell you is…
- I’m not sure, but I’ll find out and let you know.
- I’ll find out.
- I’ll look into it and get back to you with what I find.
- That’s a good question, and I want to get you the right information. Let me get back to you by end-of-day.
- I don’t want to speculate…
- I’m not the best person to answer that <Name> would be a better resource, but… my understanding is…
- Before I answer, can I get a bit more details/context?
- Let me see if I can’t find some more information on that. Thanks for asking!
- Good question. Let me get back to you.