Countless holidays and relationships have been ruined over disregarded boundaries and the inability to express what we all want at the end of the day: harmony.
- I appreciate that this topic is very important to you and you’re passionate about it. In fact, your passion is one of the things I love about you.
- We just will not see eye to eye on this topic.
- We will never agree on this topic.
- You’re not going to convince me, I’m not going to convince you.
- And while I do enjoy that we have the kind of relationship where we can have intense and spirited conversations without hurt feelings, I really don’t want to talk about this topic anymore.
- There are so many other things I rather talk about with you.
- <Redirect the conversation by asking them a question about something other than the topic that they are interested in>
- As much as I like getting into a good squabble with you, I don’t have the energy for it. Can we talk about something else?
- We’ve talked about this a couple of times, <name>, can we please not go there?
- I won’t engage in conversations about <topic> any further. Please respect that boundary to avoid hurt feelings for both of us.
Take One Small Step with StoryCorps
Today, 9 out of 10 Americans say they are exhausted by our divisions and are looking for a way out. Created by StoryCorps, One Small Step is an effort to remind the country of the humanity in all of us-even those with whom we disagree.